Make your lemonade with a twist this summer by infusing it with basil! If basil isn’t your favorite flavor, give it a try with mint or thyme. This recipe will serve 4 people easily – but if you want to entertain a crowd at your pool, it’s easy enough to double.
¾ cup sugar
1 cup water
1 sprig fresh basil
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup ice
1 cup sparkling water
- Combine ¾ cup sugar, 1 cup water and basil sprig into a small saucepan. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally. This will make a basil-infused simple syrup. Let it cool.
- Strain the syrup into your pitcher and add the freshly squeezed lemon juice to it.
- Add one cup ice to the pitcher.
- Add one cup sparkling water.
VARIATIONS: If you prefer still water to sparkling, go ahead a substitute it. If you are having an adult gathering, add sparkling wine.
- Gently mix your lemonade together and then it is ready to serve!
TIP: There’s nothing worse than overly sour or overly sweet lemonade…especially when you put work into it! To get the perfect blend, begin with juicing your lemons. We used 5 lemons, which yielded a scant one-cup worth of juice. You can adjust the other ingredients according to how much juice you get.