The banana split is a classic dessert that’s as American as baseball and baked beans. And what’s more, they’re delicious any time of the year! But traditional banana splits have enough calories to make you afraid to step on the scale afterwards.
Have no fear! There are plenty of ways you can up the nutritional value while not sacrificing the quality that made banana splits famous in the first place: the decadent, mouth-watering taste.
Just remember—the banana split is a serious dessert, so make sure you’re hungry before you start!
• You’ll need 1 banana (of course), but other fruits like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries make excellent toppings.
• Buy natural ice cream. Earth Fare brand ice cream contains no artificial sweeteners, and you’ll be able to taste the improvement. Choose whatever flavor you prefer – one scoop each of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry will keep your taste buds on their toes. You can also substitute dairy-free ice cream in your favorite flavor.
• In place of the strawberry topping, use a fresh strawberry puree. Instead of chocolate sauce, use sugar-free hot fudge sauce. In place of pineapple topping, use finely chopped pineapple. Don’t be afraid of these healthy toppings. They’ve got the sweetness of the originals, and your body will thank you after you’re finished!
• A banana split without whipped cream is like a cake without icing—it’s good, but it’s just not the same. Try using a whipped cream made from soy or skim milk, and limit what you put on your banana split to one serving.
• Along with the traditional banana split toppings of crushed walnuts or almonds, try sprinkling granola or crunched up dry cereal on top. It’ll add a nice, satisfying crunch that’ll leave you craving another bite!
In the mood for a banana split? Get your fresh bananas and cereal topping with today’s Founding Fathers coupon at Welcome Home!